PROJECT CLEAN AIR IN SOUTH CHENNAI CONSTITUENCY:
1. On 05.12.2019, along with other Members of Parliaments across different party lines got together in New Delhi and formed a group called PARLIAMENTARIANS GROUP
FOR CLEAN AIR to discuss issues pertaining to India’s growing air pollution challenge.
2. On 29.11.2021, I was invited as a speaker to the MP’s Roundtable on Unpacking Political Narratives around Air Pollution in India by the Centre for Policy Research
in Delhi. Presented the strong need to develop a multi-stakeholder approach to tackle air pollution while inter-twining it with social justice.
3. On 22.12.2021, participated in the Executive Committee Meeting of the PARLIAMENTARIANS GROUP FOR CLEAN AIR organized by Swaniti Initiative, Delhi and spoke about spoke about a range of innovative measures to tackle air pollution.
4. On 25.03.2022 attended the Parliamentarians Group for Clean Air and launched a new project on the Driving National Clean Air Program (NCAP) at the Constituency
level with experts from Council on Energy, Environment and Water (CEEW), Shakthi Sustainable Energy Foundation and Climate Trends.
5. On 15.04.2022, as a part of this group I along with the Swaniti Initiative Established a research team to work on the field and identify issues related to air pollution at the
6. On 23.05.2022, as a part of this a meeting with Government of Tamil Nadu Additional Chief Secretary Mrs. Supriya Sahu, IAS and Tamil Nadu Environment, Forest and
Climate Change Department Special Secretary Mrs. Jayanthi Murali, IFS to discuss and understand the ground realities in the subject of air pollution. Representations like
regular conduct of IeC activities at schools and colleges, and installation of LED boards to display the air quality data were also given to secretaries of the Department of
7. On 01.07.2022, as part of this project conducted a plantation drive at Miyawaki forest, Kotturpuram. Around 30-50 native saplings were planted as one of the steps to support
local communities. This drive was conducted along with National Green Corps Tamil Nadu with the participation of local representatives and Greater Chennai Corporation.
8. On 30.07.2022, an awareness program on Clean Air and Wetlands was conducted for the students in classes 7 and 8th of Vijaya Ratna PTS Matriculation Higher Secondary School in Adyar along with Care Earth Trust at Interpretation Center in Pallikaranai
9. On 15.07.2022, a letter was submitted to Tamil Nadu State Pollution Control Board (TNSPCB) Chairman Mrs. Jayanthi Murali, IFS regarding the installation of
Continuous Ambient Air Quality Monitoring Stations (CAAQMS) in South Chennai Constituency for effective monitoring and abatement of Air Pollution.
10. In response to the letter sent on 15.07.2022, regarding the installation of CAAQMS, the TNPCB along with Greater Chennai Corporation has accepted to install one
monitoring station at one of the suitable locations in South Chennai Constituencies and sent an approval letter on 12.08.2022.
11. On 23.08.2022, Participated in India Clean Air Summit 2022 held in Bangalore. I addressed the inaugural function and presented the issues pertaining to air pollution
and measures she has taken at constituency levels to improve the air quality.
12. On 07.09.2022, to celebrate the International Day for Clean Air for Blue Skies, I along with The Tamil Nadu Green Climate Company (TNGCC) conducted an environmental awareness program about air pollution for the students of Government Higher Secondary School in Ashok Nagar. I along with air quality experts interacted with the students about the importance of tree plantation. Students were also given ecofriendly bags (Manjapai) and seed pens as a part of the awareness program.
13. On 10.10.2022, as a part of this Clean Air initiative, organized a stakeholder meeting i.e. and constituted a Local Innovation System (LIS) to devise a response against air
pollution in the South Chennai Constituency at my constituency office. The meeting included inputs from Government of Tamil Nadu Additional Chief Secretary Mrs. Supriya Sahu, IAS, Tamil Nadu State Pollution Control Board Chairman Mrs. Jayanthi Murali, IFS, Greater Chennai Corporation Mayor Mrs. Priya Rajan and other experts from Anna University and IIT Madras. The meeting also had the participation of the local public who shared their views on the air pollution in their area.
14. On 12.12.2022, attended the roundtable conference of the Parliamentarians Group for Clean Air (PGCA) at the Constitution Club of India, New Delhi organized by the Swaniti Initiative. Presented the works carried out in the South Chennai Constituency in mitigating air pollution to 30 Members of Parliament from different constituencies.